Saturday, May 28, 2016

And then there was the server

Today, we start the path to relevancy. I have taken a i7 quad core laptop, added 8 gigs of RAM (for a total of 16G) and a terabyte hard drive and installed Ubuntu Server 16.04.

Unlike the ease of installed the Desktop version of Ubuntu, there seems to always be a hiccup with install the server version. Since I am trying to make sure that I am not tied to any wired network, the first thing I like to do make sure that my wireless interface is working. Ubuntu installed immediately recognized my Centrino Advanced-N 6205 adapter and I am able to get on the internet. The problem I run into is that once the system has been installed and reboot, the wireless interface is not seen and therefore I have no internet.

For some reason, if I re-install the server (and cp /target/etc/network/interface to /target/home/kcc), for whatever reason when I reboot, at least I am able to reboot and the wireless interface is working. So the goal today is to setup the wireless interface so that regardless of the network. Right now, I am able to use my home network, but if were to go to Starbucks, I would have to edit my /etc/network/interface file to see able to see the local access point.

Since I am trying to play with the latest, greatest, I have decided to forgo the nmcli and focus on using some of the newer technology like systemd-networkd. This required a lot of entries, but eventually, I was able to get wireless running and even have roaming working.




No comments:

Post a Comment